Wednesday, September 24, 2008

W.S.Rendra


Lots of his work are translated to various languages; to English, Dutch, German, Japan, Russia, Sweden, Hindi, Sangskrit, France Italy, Korea, Africa, Bulgaria and Czech.


Me and Rendra. It was a rare opportunity to have a photo session with this great poet.



Another pix with Sosojan, herself is a local novelist and sajakis. Sure lots of questions asked during Rendra's stay in Brunei to receive MASTERA Award.


My two Pengiran friends with Rendra.......


W.S Rendra, the well known poet from Indonesia. He was in Brunei Darussalam on 21 September to receive another award, MASTERA Award. I like his poems since my school days and the way he delivers; full of command.

Unlike many Indonesians, he is still strong, both mentally and physically, and eager to talk about his poems and the nation. Born on Nov. 7, 1935 in Solo, Central Java, Rendra or Willibrordus Surendra Broto, still wants to create masterpieces like the Javanese poets Mpu Sedah, Mpu Panuluh and Ronggowarsito did in past centuries.

The graduate of the American Academy of Dramatic Art, New York, is known for his satirical observations of social and political issues in his poems and theater scripts. Potret Pembangunan dalam Puisi (Portrait of Development in Poetry), Bersatulah Pelacur-Pelacur Kota Jakarta (Jakarta's Prostitutes Unite!) and Blues untuk Bonnie (Blues for Bonnie) are among his collections of poems that discuss social and political disparities. The graduate of Gadjah Mada University also played in several films, such as Yang Muda Yang Bercinta (The Young Who Love).

People do not only talk about Rendra's literary works, but also gossip (jealously) about his once "harmonious" polygamous marriage to actresses Soenarti and Sitoresmi Prabuningrat. After divorcing Soenarti and Sitoresmi, he now lives with his third wife stage actress Ken Zuraida in the three-hectare home and theater workshop.

He’s now 73 year old. Jakarta Post interviewed him on his 70th birthday. This is part of the interview at his unique home in Cipayung, Depok, West Java

"You and your friends just celebrated your 70th anniversary. How did you feel? "

Well, of course, I thank God for giving me a long life. It is a blessing from God. But, again, life is fana (impermanent). Human beings can neither reject birth nor death. We grow from infant, teenager and then get old. So, what does it mean? Why I am given a long life? It is I who decide whether to spend my life only as a vegetable or to grow old while improving the quality of my religious life. If I cannot improve my religious life, I think it will be worthless. I looked inside myself and discovered that my attitude and religious life was not mature.

"At the age of 70 you still look healthy. How do you maintain your health? Is it because you drink tea regularly? "

This is not tea. This is taken from leaves on the mountains in the Himalayas and China. Local people take the herbs on the mountains and make them into beverages that benefit the kidney, liver, colon, heart, pancreas and other organs. Researchers have then found that the leaves also have a similar composition. I do not know the distributor of this drink here. I get it from my students in Sydney.




I eat vegetables, but not all vegetables. I take the ones that are suited to my blood group. I am concerned about diet. I had reduced rice since the age of 35. That is why at the age of 60 I was not this fat. I started to become fat at 65. Of course, there must also be a culture for the body. I join the Bangau Putih exercise group. I maintain a diet and do light exercise. I do not use barbells or jog. I follow the rhythm of age. I do not deny my age. I do not drink coffee or regular tea. Sometimes, I drink tea from Mount Lawu and Garut. I do not drink alcohol.
And of course, having sex. Having sex refreshes our body and mind. Once a week is enough. Twice a week seems to be fun. When I was still 50 years old, I had sex three times a day. Eating three times a day; having sex three times a day. Occasionally, I check a draft of my writing. If I have the mood to do so, I will write. Then I go out of my room and read newspapers, watch television or phone colleagues.

"Do you still read newspapers and watch television every day? "

The Holy Koran. I read randomly. Often, journalists come interview me. Students and workers also come. I get information from social interaction .

"Do you still read poems or speak at seminars out of town or overseas? "

I have not reduced my travel because that is my source of income. I earn an income from poetry reading or speaking at seminars. I set a fee. Traveling offers me the opportunity to support my life here.

"Is there a database of your creations?"

I often receive criticism about this. I had promised to make it years ago. Some of my files were destroyed in heavy rain. Some of my files are also kept in a university in Cologne, Germany. A friend of mine from Germany gave me money for the trash. Later, I found out that some of my poems are also stored in universities overseas.

"Do you plan to stage a play in the near future? "

That is a problem. The cost for rehearsals is high because of transportation. When I was in Yogyakarta, there was no transportation fee. They came for rehearsal on foot or by bike. But, now, it is impossible. The cost of the lighting and sound system is also high. It could reach Rp 50 million. The cost of staging Sobrat, for example, was about Rp 400 million. It is impossible for me to do it again, because I suffered financial losses. I pushed through with Sobrat for the sake of regeneration. I lost Rp 9 million. I lost Rp 18 million for other performances in the past. I must have a savings of about Rp 25 million before staging a play. It functions as a financial reserve, otherwise I will not have money to pay for possible loss. I will not accept a contract below Rp 400 million. Today, it is difficult to get a contract above Rp 500 million. The company gets no return from it but only maintains its image.

"What is your fee ?"

Everything is already clear when there is an invitation for an overseas tour. I will get a per diem allowance and fees. My charge for a poetry reading here is Rp 25 million. I get Rp 10 million for speaking at seminars. That is my fee now. But, if there is another fuel price hike, I will make an adjustment. People must understand. I set the rate because I need to pay for electricity, phone bills, my children's education, medical checkups and other expenses. That is why I set the rate.
People often do not view my activities as work. This is crazy.

1 comment:

greenskeptic said...

I enjoyed your piece on WS Rendra, which I found while doing a search in the wake of the news of his passing. Thank you for posting this remembrance. He was a remarkable poet and outstanding Indonesian.

Terima kasih.