Sunday, May 3, 2009

ON "MELAYU"

I’m reading a book, Saya Pun Melayu by Zaid Ibrahim.
I also read Ke Luar Jendela by Dato Hassan Ahamd.
…and Blogging To Unblock by Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
These writers talk about Melayu.
Last month I attended a forum organized by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Brunei.
The speakers talked about Bahasa Melayu linked to SPN 21.
“Melayu Rojak” is the inn thing, they said…. And they were worried.
I also attended a forum on Adat Istiadat Diraja Brunei
I came across various blogs that touched on Melayu.
It made me confused
Last month I sit in front of TV when Malaysia PM announced his new Cabinet.

Reading Saya Pun Melayu my mind went back to yesteryears in 60ies when I was in STAR
The harmonious environment of rural Malay students…
I remember Chegu Roslan Ahmad teaching us Malay, sometimes talk in English,
And Mr Lee teaching English giving examples of poor rural Malay families.
My mind flies to late 50ies, when I was in Darjah Enam.
Those years, I bought exercise books from PGGMB shop. The cover was the map of Persekutuan Tanah Melayu.
I seldom see the words again.
Except when travel by train from Johor Bharu to Kangar or Kota Baru
There is train named Keretapi Tanah Melayu.
Where are those words, Tanah Melayu ?
My prayer that Melayu stay permanently in Brunei.
with Melayu Islam Beraja.

2 comments:

Peacebuy said...

Salam,

This is a nice article on 'Melayu'. Please if you don't mind I would like to republish it again in my blog Gempamelayu.. your site will be linked in the article.

Thank you..

H Hussain Abdul Rahman- sipugut@hotmail.com said...

Ya, silakan untuk memanjangkan apa yang saya tulis dalam blog saya.