Tuesday, April 28, 2009

SPN 21

Many asked me why no new article. Well, I' ve a lot but just could not squeeze my time on blog. The focus is on script writing. Producers asked me to write but the datelines were so tight. I would like to welcome you again to surf my blog.

I was looking into SPN 21 and tried to understand the content. It said the system aimed to meet the social and economic challenges, equip students with skills, with greater emphasis on 'character building' and strengthen proficiency in Bahasa Melayu. On 23 April I attended a Forum Perdana on Bahasa Melayu in conjunction with Brunei's National Day Silver Jubilee Celebrations. Voices of concern were raised by the panel of speakers. According to them, the system is too focused on riding through the globalization. If excessively put emphasis on the usage of English, it will change the local culture. Facts from UNESCO and the World Bank reports prove that countries which use foreign language as their National Language, are mostly categorised as "least developed" countries. A foreign language can never replace a language which is close to the people's hearts.

Well, I put to readers for their comments.

No comments: