Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic Games Beijing 2008
























With so many TV channel offering Olympic coverage, sometimes you have to jump from one channel to another channel to see your favourite sport. Don’t go away, said the TV presenter. But of course we have the right to choose. The finger is the power especially when there’re a lot of commercials. What is you favourite sports? For me the athletics is the best. But while waiting for the finals, some sports also appealing to me. In Brunei Malay words “teranah meliat”. I do concentrate on the competition especially on boxing, volleyball, gymnastic, and weigh lifting.

I put two of the sports, weight lifting and gymnastic as the core of my weekly writing in Pelangi FM’s Katak Atas Tempurung and National FM’s Ole Ole Pop; I really was stunned to see the pin size Chen Xiexia who is just 5 ft tall, lifting 212 kilogram to win the first gold for China. 212 kilogram is equal to approx to 20 sacks beras wangi.

Another sport was gymnastics. But I’ve yet to see the present gymnasts. The one I commented was 1976 Montreal Olympics, beautiful Nadia Comaneci from Romania. Nadia was 14 when she participated in Montreal Olympics in 1976 and became household topic when she got “Perfect Ten” in uneven-bars category. All in all she got six “Perfect Tens,” five gold, one silver and one bronze. I remembered this because I was working as Assistant Producer at that time when everything was done in manual. No such thing as live telecast. Good old day 30+ years ago.

No comments: